Best Butcher Knife Reviews
1. Victorinox Cutlery 10-Inch Granton Edge Butcher Knife
This exquisitely made butcher knife from Victorinox, the Swiss knife experts, is the king of kitchen knives and it can handle tough cutting tasks like slicing full sized roasts and cutting large pieces of meat.
The high carbon Granton-edge conical ground 10-inch blade has a good length and its very sharp stainless-steel blade provides maximum sharpness and edge retention.
As the blade is stamped out of cold-rolled stainless steel, it has a good resistance to rust but you will need to wash and dry the blade after each use to maintain its appearance and edge.
The knife is well-balanced and its ergonomic black textured handles are crafted out of non-slip patented Fibrox which is comfortable to hold.
The Victorinox butcher knife has to be hand-washed and it is covered by a lifetime warranty.
- Exquisite Swiss design
- Excellent quality
- Ideal for cutting whole roasts and big cuts of meat
- Strong and durable high carbon stainless-steel blade
- Ice tempered to sustain its sharpness longer
- Very sharp
- Non-slip shaped Fibrox handle
- Blade stamped from cold-rolled steel
- Conical ground through length and depth for a wider break point
- Bolsterless edge for extra strength and ease of sharpening
- Ergonomic black Fibrox handles are textured, slip resistant
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Stamped steel reduces durability
- Can be too heavy or long for smaller hands to control
- Must be hand washed
2. Dexter-Russell 8-Inch Butcher Knife
Dexter-Russell has been forging steel blades since the early 19th century and their butcher knives are used in commercial kitchens all over the world.
The stylish hand sharpened Sani-Safe knife has a straight-edge 8-inch heavy-duty DexSteel blade which is made out of a combination of high-carbon and high-alloy stainless steel, which is specially engineered for professional knives. This special blend of steel enhances the blades sharpness, edge holding capabilities, corrosion resistance and ease of re-sharpening. Its hand honed blade has an extra sharp tip that can pierce and cut into thick pieces meat and its shorter blade length means it is highly effective at cutting smaller pieces of meat into thin portions.
Although the Dexter-Russell knife is heavy at 4lbs, it is well balanced and its white textured, slip-resistant, easy-to-clean, Grip-Tex polypropylene handle can withstand high and low temperatures. Its specially molded design prevents any dirt or germs from lodging between the blade and the handle, which has earned it an NSF sanitary certification for safe cooking practices.
For extra protection throughout the cutting process, the knife has a protective finger guard on the handle and the knife is very easy to clean and resharpen with a whetstone.
The Dexter Russell butcher knife is covered by a limited lifetime warranty.
- Very good value for money
- Good price
- Special DexSteel: combination of high-alloy stainless-steel and high-carbon steel
- Shorter blade gives you good cutting and slicing control
- White handle works well with current kitchen decor
- Moderate price
- High carbon steel
- Earned NSF certification for its food safety friendly design
- Textured, slip-resistant Grip-Tex polypropylene handle withstands both high and low temperatures
- Easy to clean
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Shorter 8-inch blade
- Blade can get discolored
3. Ontario Knife Co 7111 Old Hickory Butcher Knife, 10-Inch Blade
Featuring high-quality materials and expert craftsmanship, the Ontario Knife Company butcher knife is designed for tough cutting tasks.
The plain edge 10-inch blade is made of extra strong and durable 1095 high carbon steel, which has been fully heat-treated and tempered and its razor-sharp cutting edge makes it an excellent choice for agricultural/industrial and home use for meat processing tasks.
Its beautiful hardwood handle, which is branded ‘Old Hickory’, is secured with brass compression rivets and it is well-balanced and gives you a good secure grip while you cut and slice up all types of meat.
The blade may be a little dull when you first take it out of the box but with just a few strikes on the whetstone, it will be razor sharp and it maintains its edge very well.
Although the high carbon steel is rust-resistant, it can rust if not properly cared for, so clean and dry it after each use and keep it out of the dishwasher.
- High-quality design
- Very good price
- Great value for money
- Expert craftsmanship
- Made in the U.S.A.
- Ideal for professional and home use
- Strong high carbon steel
- Heat treated and tempered
- Ideal for heavy-duty cutting tasks
- Razor-sharp cutting edge
- Maintains its edge over the long-term
- Well balanced
- Beautiful hardwood handle branded ‘Old Hickory’ is secured with brass compression rivets
- Can be prone to stains and rust if not maintained properly
- Not dishwasher safe
- May need to be resharpened when you first receive it
- Thin blade